These Banana & Chocolate Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies are a healthier version of a classic oatmeal cookie. They are flourless, made without butter and can easily be made vegan.
1 1/4 cup rolled oats
1 1/4 cup almond flour (or almond meal)
1 small to medium ripe banana
1 egg (use flax egg for a vegan version - *see note below)
1 oz coconut oil
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup coconut sugar
1/3 cup dried tart cherries
2 oz dark chocolate, broken into small pieces (or chocolate chips)
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp sea or kosher salt
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl mash the banana with a fork until no longer lumpy. Stir in melted coconut oil. Finally, add the egg and vanilla and stir together with a fork until combined.
- Add dry ingredients to the same bowl: almond flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Stir with a spoon until dough forms. The dough will be somewhat sticky. Do not overmix.
- Stir in chocolate chunks and cherries until evenly distributed.
- Using a ¼ cup cookie scoop, form balls and place them on the prepared baking tray, about 2in apart. You should have 12-13 cookies. If the dough is too sticky, chill in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- With a back of a fork flatten the balls to form thick cookies.
- Bake for about 13-15 minutes, or until cookies become light brown at the edges.
- Let cool completely before serving.
To make a flax egg, mix one tablespoon ground flaxseed meal with three tablespoons of water. Mix together, and let sit in your fridge for 15 minutes to set up and thicken.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: desserts
- Method: baking
Keywords: healthy, healthy cookies, healthy desserts, oatmeal cookie