Buffalo Chicken Thighs are a super simple way to prepare boneless skinless chicken thighs that is perfect for a weeknight dinner or game night.
6 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1-1.5 lbs)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2/3 cup hot sauce, such as Frank's, divided
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
extra salt, in needed (see recipe notes)
- Trim chicken thighs so most of the visible fat is removed.
- Place 1/3 hot sauce, olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder in a medium bowl and mix together. Add the chicken and stir to coat. Cover and let the chicken marinade for at least 1 hour in the fridge.
- To bake in the oven, preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit, place the marinaded meat onto a baking tray in one layer and bake for about 25 minutes or until a meat temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit. If you like crispier chicken, broil for 1-3 minutes at the end.
- To air fry, preheat your air fryer to 380 degrees for a couple minutes. Spray the air fryer basket with a non-stick spray and place the chicken thighs inside in one layer. Air fry 10 minutes, then flip and air fry for 8-10 more minutes.
- Place the hot cooked chicken in a bowl and pour the remaining 1/3 cup hot sauce on top. Toss to coat and serve immediately.
For trimming fat off chicken thighs, I find that kitchen scissors work best.
The amount of hot sauce will depend on how spicy you like your food. I find that marinading the meat in 1/3 cup hot sauce before baking and then smothering the crispy chicken in equal amount of hot sauce is perfect. However, if you like your chicken spicier and saucier, feel free to use more!
This recipe does not call for salt because Frank's Hot Sauce is already salty (190 milligrams of sodium in 1 teaspoon). If you choose a different brand of hot sauce that has less salt, I would add a sprinkle of salt to the marinade.
For a paleo/keto/whole30 version, use hot sauce that contains no sugar or soy, such as this one.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: dinner, appetizer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: buffalo chicken thighs, chicken thighs, boneless skinless chicken thighs, buffalo chicken, air fryer buffalo chicken thighs