This Creamy Coconut Tomato Shrimp with Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice is a perfect weeknight dinner! It uses staple pantry ingredients and is very quick and easy to make.
1 lb shrimp (raw, shelled and deveined)
1 tbsp avocado or canola oil
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can full fat coconut milk
3 oz baby spinach
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small piece of ginger, minced
1 onion, chopped
2 tbsp chopped cilantro
1 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
1 12 oz package frozen cauliflower rice
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
salt & pepper to taste
Coconut cilantro rice
In a skillet heat up frozen cauliflower rice and coconut oil until soft (don’t overcook). Stir in 1½ tbsp cilantro & ½ tsp salt, cover and keep warm.
Coconut tomato shrimp
- Heat up avocado or canola oil in a deep skillet. Add onions and cook for a few minutes until soft but not brown.
- Add ginger, garlic, cumin and coriander. Keep cooking and stirring until fragrant, a minute or so. Add tomatoes and coconut milk and cook covered for about 5 minutes.
- Remove about a cup of tomato-onion mixture, let cool slightly and blend it using an immersion blender. This step will thicken the sauce and add a more intense flavor.
- Pour the blended mixture back in the skillet. Add raw shrimp, baby spinach and pepper flakes. Cover and cook for about 3 minutes, then stir together and cook until shrimp is pink and spinach is wilted but still bright green.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper. Note: canned tomatoes are usually already salted so taste before salting.
- Serve over cilantro cauliflower milk and garnish with remaining ½ tbsp chopped cilantro.
Make sure to not overcook the shrimp or it will become rubbery.
Cauliflower rice is a great option for paleo/keto version of this dish, but feel free to make it with white or brown rice or your favorite grain.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: dinner
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: shrimp, whole 30, keto, paleo, coconut shrimp, cauliflower rice