This Creamy Sausage, Kale and Potato Soup is an amazing one pot meal for the whole family. It is perfectly balanced, flavorful and healthy.
1 lb Italian style chicken sausage
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 can diced tomatoes
1 lb small red or fingerling potatoes, halved
5 oz kale, torn into pieces, stems removed
1 large or 2 small onions, diced
1–2 stalks celery, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
5 cups chicken broth
½ cup raw cashews
½ tsp dried basil
½ tsp fennel seeds
½ tsp dried or fresh thyme
¼ tsp red pepper flakes
salt & pepper
- Place raw cashews in a bowl or cup and cover with boiling hot water so the nuts are fully submerged. Leave to soak while you prepare the soup.
- In a Dutch over or pot with a thick bottom heat up olive oil. Add diced onion, chopped celery and spices (except salt and pepper). Sautee a couple minutes stirring from time to time until soft but not browned. Add garlic and keep cooking until fragrant, another minute or so.
- Take the sausage out of the casings and ad to the onion-celery mixture. Cook breaking the sausage with a wooden spoon until no longer pink. Stir in tomatoes and cook together for a couple minutes. After that, add broth and potatoes, bring to boil, turn the heat down and simmer for about 20-30 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- While the soup is simmering, place the cashews and the water they were soaking in in a blender and blend until the mixture is completely smooth. When the potatoes are cooked through, add kale stir in cashew cream. Cook another couple of minutes until kale is wilted.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper to taste.
You can add more broth if you would like thinner consistency. Homemade chicken broth will give you best tasting soup but good quality boxed broth will also work.
- Category: soups
Keywords: soup, creamy soup, healthy soup, kale, kale soup, chicken sausage