Healthy Banana Oat Bread is 100% whole grain and uses no butter or refined sugar but the texture and flavor are out-of-this-world good!
1 cup quick oats
1.5 cups spelt flour (or white whole wheat flour)
4 very ripe bananas
¼ cup maple syrup
¼ cup refined coconut oil, melted
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp sea salt
Optional toppings: chopped walnuts and mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a 9 x 5in loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl mash the bananas with a fork or potato masher until smooth.
- Add eggs, maple syrup, melted coconut oil and vanilla and stir well.
- In a separate bowl combine all the dry ingredients: oats, spelt flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Add dry ingredients to the banana-egg mixture and stir with a spatula until combined. Do not overmix!
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan, top with walnuts and mini chocolate chips (if using).
- Bake in the preheated oven for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Place on a cooling rack and let the bread cool for at least 20 minutes. Take out of the pan and let cool more before slicing.
- Serve on its own or with butter or almond butter.
If you don’t have spelt flour, you can use white whole wheat flour.
Make sure your bananas are very ripe. Brown spots or completely brown skin is preferable. This will ensure that your bread is sweet enough and has lots of banana flavor.
If you don’t want to use coconut oil, feel free to substitute it with avocado or vegetable oil.
- Category: baking
- Method: baking
- Serving Size: 1 slice
Keywords: banana bread, banana, oats, healthy baking