Instant Pot Split Pea Soup with Ham and Pancetta is a perfect way to use up leftover ham. It is super easy to make, packed with protein and fiber and super flavorful. You can make it in an Instant Pot or on the stovetop.
1 lbs green or yellow split peas, dried
1 cup ham, diced small
2 oz pancetta (cubed) or bacon
1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
1 medium onion, diced
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 cloves garlic
7 cups of chicken broth
1 tsp marjoram
2 bay leaves
Salt and pepper to taste
Instant Pot method:
- Set your Instant Pot to sauté and add pancetta or chopped bacon. Cook, stirring from time to time until pancetta/bacon starts browning and rendering fat, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add diced onion, carrots and celery and cook until vegetables are slightly softened, stirring often for about 3 more minutes.
- Add garlic, marjoram and bay leaves and stir.
- Add the rest of the ingredients: split peas, ham and broth.
- Turn off the sauté setting, close the lid, put the vent into the “seal” positon and set to high pressure for 16 minutes.
- Let the pressure naturally release for about 10 minutes, then use manual release to let out remaining steam and open the Instant Pot. Give the soup a stir, remove bay leaves, taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Place a 6-quart Dutch oven or pot on the stovetop and cook pancetta or chopped up bacon for about 3 minutes stirring from time to time until pancetta/bacon starts browning and rendering fat, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add onions, carrots and celery and cook stirring often until vegetables are softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, bay leaves and marjoram and stir.
- Add the rest of the ingredients: split peas, ham and broth. Bring to boil, then turn down to low and cook until peas are soft and the soup thickens, 30-45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Because the pancetta, ham and broth already have salt in them, I find that this soup is salty enough. Depending on your preferences, you may add some more salt but wait till the soup is cooked and taste before adding extra salt.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: soup
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: split pea soup, pea soup, ham, split pea and ham soup, instant pot soup, how to make split pea soup