These Easy Italian Stuffed Zucchini Boats are healthy, keto and low carb. They are stuffed with a delicious ground chicken and vegetable filling and baked to cheesy perfection.
4 medium zucchini
1lb ground chicken
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
3 oz baby or regular spinach
5 oz baby bella or button mushrooms, chopped
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
1 heaping tbsp of tomato paste
1 tbsp olive oil
1¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
½ tsp red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut zucchinis in half lengthwise. Scoop out the flesh with a melon baller or a sharp spoon, leaving 1/4" thick This recipe does not use the scooped out zucchini pieces but they’re great for freezing and using in smoothies or soups.
- Place the hollowed out zucchini halves onto a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes. Set aside.
- In the meantime, prepare the stuffing. Heat up oil in a large skillet and cook onions and mushrooms for a couple minutes. Add the garlic, spices and chicken. Cook together stirring and breaking up the meat until no longer pink.
- Stir in canned tomatoes and tomato paste and cook together for about 3 minutes. Add spinach and cook a minute or so until spinach is wilted. Taste the sauce and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Top the zucchini halves with the meat tomato mixture and bake uncovered for about 15-20 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and sprinkle with cheese. Bake until cheese is melted, about 5 more minutes.
- Serve sprinkled with fresh chopped parsley or scallions.
Any ground meat will work for this recipe. I like using ground chicken but turkey, lean beef or pork will also be delicious!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Category: dinner
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: stuffed zucchini, zucchini boats, healthy zucchini boats, healthy dinner, ground chicken