Kale and Barley Salad with Seared Salmon is a delicious and balanced macro bowl made with raw kale, pearl barley, blueberries, chickpeas and feta cheese. For an extra protein and healthy fat boost, it is served with seared salmon on top.
4–5 oz kale, torn into small pieces, thick stems removed
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
½ cup crumbled feta cheese
¼ cup sliced red onion
½ cup dry pearl barley
½ cup shelled walnuts
1 can of chickpeas, rinsed in cold water and drained
12 oz piece of salmon
2 tsp of olive oil
1 tbsp avocado or canola oil for searing
Sea salt and black pepper
Lemon Honey Vinaigrette
6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3 tbsp white wine or apple cider vinegar
2 tsp honey
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 clove of garlic, pressed or minced
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
- Cook the barley according to instructions on the package in salted water (usually about 20 minutes). Set aside to cool.
- Make the vinaigrette dressing. Place all dressing ingredients into a small jar, close the lid and shake vigorously. Set aside. You can also whisk all the ingredients in a small bowl.
- Place the kale in a large bowl and drizzle with 2 tsp of olive oil. Making sure your hands are clean, massage the kale with your fingers until it looks a little wilted and shiny.
- Add all salad ingredients except for salmon and avocado. Gently toss together with about ¾ of the dressing. Set aside.
- Sear the salmon. Cut the salmon into 4 equal pieces and sprinkle with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. In a heavy skillet (I like to use cast iron) heat the oil and sear the salmon over medium high, about 3-4 minutes per side until nicely seared. If you like your salmon more done, you can sear it a little longer but be careful not to overcook it or it will be dry.
- Assemble the bowls. Divide the kale barley salad between 4 bowls, top with seared salmon and avocado slices. Drizzle the remaining dressing on top.
- Category: dinner
Keywords: macro bowl, salmon bowl, kale salad, barley, grain bowl