Red Lentil Pasta Salad is a lightened up version of the classic pasta salad with a Mediterranean twist. It’s made with red lentil pasta, which is high in protein and fiber, canned chickpeas, tomatoes, cucumbers, roasted red peppers, zucchini and olives.
8 oz package of red lentil penne or rotini pasta
2 medium zucchini (about 1 lb)
1 pint cherry tomatoes
12 oz jar of pickled roasted red peppers, drained
2/3 cup pitted kalamata olives, halved (3 oz)
2 mini cucumbers
1 15 oz can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 oz thinly sliced red onions
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
salt and pepper (to taste)
1 recipe homemade creamy Greek dressing about (about 2/3 cup)
chopped fresh basil or parsley, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 210 degrees Fahrenheit. Cut the zucchini lengthwise into long quarters and then slice into a ½ pieces. In a large bowl toss zucchini pieces in 1 tablespoon olive oil and dried oregano. Season with salt and pepper and arrange on a baking sheet in one layer. Bake for 20-25 minutes until soft and lightly browned on the edges. Take out of the oven and let cool while you are preparing the salad.
- Slice red onions, place in a small bowl and cover with cold water. Let the onions soak for at least 15 minutes to get rid of the harsh onion flavor.
- Cook the pasta according to instructions on the package. Drain on a colander, run cold water over it and set aside to cool and drain completely.
- Make the dressing according to my Homemade Creamy Greek Dressing recipe.
- Cut cherry tomatoes and pitted kalamata olives into halves, chop cucumbers into thick quarter slices and roughly chop pickled roasted red peppers.
- Assemble the salad. Place the cooked, drained and cooled red lentil pasta in a large mixing bowl. Add rinsed and drained canned chickpeas, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, soaked and drained red onion slices, kalamata olives, pickled red peppers and now cool roasted zucchini.
- Pour 2/3 of the Greek dressing in and toss the salad together. If it looks like it could use more dressing, add more to your own preferences.
- Garnish with freshly chopped basil or parsley and serve right away at room temperature or chill in the fridge and enjoy later.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: dinner, vegetarian, lunch
- Cuisine: American, Mediterranean
Keywords: red lentil pasta salad, lentil pasta salad, vegan pasta salad