Loaded Mini Pepper Nachos are a wonderful low-carb version of a tex-mex classic that is hearty, healthy and satisfying. Mini bell peppers are filled with super flavorful ground meat and black bean mixture, topped with grated cheese and baked to melty perfection or game day snack.
1.5lbs mini bell peppers
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 lb ground turkey
2 tablespooons homemade taco seasoning
1 15 oz can of black beans
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons water
1.5 cups grated cheese
Toppings: diced avocado, sour cream or Greek yogurt, chopped cilantro, sliced cherry tomatoes, sliced jalapeno peppers
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Empty the black beans into a sieve, rinse with cold water and set aside to drain.
- Prep the meat. Heat olive oil in a large skillet, add ground turkey and cook until no longer pink, breaking the meat up with a wooden spoon. Once the meat is cooked, add tomato paste, taco seasoning and water. Stir together and cook for a couple more minutes. Add black beans and stir until combined.
- Wash the mini peppers, cut them in half lengthwise, remove the stems and seeds.
- Place the pepper halves in one layer (close together) on a large baking sheet.
- Using a spoon, fill the pepper halves with the turkey-black bean mixture. Top with grated cheese and bake for about 15 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Top with your favorite nacho toppings and serve immediately.
Any grated cheese that melts will work. I used 1 cup of cheddar and 1/2 cup of mozzarella. If you like lots of melty cheese on your nachos, feel free to add more.
Though the recipe calls for turkey, you can also use ground beef, pork or chicken.
Nutritional value is for the mini pepper nachos without the toppings.
If you don’t want to make homemade taco seasoning or don’t have the time, feel free to use a good quality store bought taco spice. I prefer the kind without starch (only spices).
- Category: lunch, dinner
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mini pepper nachos, low carb nachos