This Spicy Lentil Potato Soup is a quick and easy meal that is truly nourishing and full of flavor. To make it, you only need some staple pantry ingredients.
2 medium carrots, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed or minced
1 piece of ginger the size of a garlic clove, grated
1 15-oz can diced tomatoes
1 lb small potatoes, red, fingerling or both
1 bay leaf
1 tsp ground coriander
½ tsp Garam Masala
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp turmeric
2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup dry lentils (green, brown, black or a mix)
5 cups vegetable or chicken broth
¼- 1/2 tsp Cayenne
Salt and pepper to taste
Greek yogurt (plant-based such as unsweetened coconut or cashew yogurt for vegan)
- In a pot or a Dutch oven, heat up olive oil and add onion, carrots and celery and cook together for about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add garlic, ginger, turmeric, coriander, cumin and Garam Masala. Stir together and cook until fragrant. Add a splash of water, if needed.
- Add tomatoes, broth, potatoes, lentils, bay leaf, salt, pepper and Cayenne. Bring to boil, then simmer for about 30-40 minutes until lentils start falling apart slightly and potatoes are soft.
- Give it a taste and season with salt and pepper to your liking.
- Garnish with a dollop of Greek or plant-based yogurt, drizzle with honey (skip for vegan) and sprinkle with chopped cilantro. Serve immediately.
- Category: soups
Keywords: lentil soup, lentil potato soup, instant soup lentil potato soup, spicy lentil soup