Sweet Potato Muffins are soft, moist, delicious and filled with all the nutritional goodness that sweet potato has to offer. Studded with dark chocolate chips and chopped walnut, they are a perfect healthy breakfast or snack that’s dairy-free and refined sugar-free.
3/4 cup sweet potato, baked or microwaved (1 large sweet potato)
¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon almond milk
¼ cup maple syrup
1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
½ tsp vanilla
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ cup walnuts, chopped
1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
A pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 6-muffin tin with muffin liners and spray lightly with oil.
- Mash the potato with a fork until smooth. You can also puree it in a food processor.
- Add almond milk, egg, maple syrup, melted coconut oil and vanilla and stir until combined.
- In a separate bowl combine all the dry ingredients: flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and stir until combine. Don’t overmix the batter.
- Stir in walnuts and most of the chocolate chips reserving some for the top.
- Place the batter into the prepared muffin tin. I like using an ice cream scoop for this part.
- Top with remaining chocolate chips and bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean.
- Place on a cooling rack and let cool completely before serving.
This recipe makes 6 muffins. If you would like to make 12, double the recipe - just click on the "x2" in the recipe card.
Walnuts can be replaced with pecans or skipped all together if you don't like the texture of nuts in baked goods.
To make these vegan, use egg replacer and dairy-free dark chocolate chips.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: dessert, breakfast
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: sweet potato muffins, chocolate chip sweet potato muffins, healthy sweet potato muffins