Creamy vegan Tuscan Tomato and Bean Soup is made with fresh garden tomatoes, canned white beans, garlic and rosemary. It is healthy, hearty and delicious
3 pounds fresh tomatoes
2 15-oz cans cannellini, great Northern or navy beans, drained
2 medium carrots
2 celery stalks
2 garlic cloves
1 medium onion
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
½ teaspoon dried rosemary
3 cups vegetable broth
garlic croutons & chopped fresh basil (optional garnish)
- Chop carrots, celery, onions and garlic and set aside.
- Dice tomatoes leaving the skin on.
- In a large Dutch oven or pot with a thick bottom heat olive oil, add carrots, onions and celery and sauté on low stirring from time to time until softened, about 5-10 minutes. Add garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper and cook stirring another minute or so until fragrant.
- Add chopped tomatoes, stir, turn the heat up to medium-low and cook together stirring a couple more minutes.
- Pour in the broth, cover with a lid and cook the soup until the carrots are soft and tomatoes start falling apart, about 20-30 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Stir in one and a half cans of white beans. Reserve the remaining ½ can to be added as garnish at the end. If you prefer all the beans to be blended, add 2 whole cans of beans to the soup at this stage.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until smooth. You can also blend the soup in a standup blender by cooling the soup until no longer hot and blending in batches.
- Give the soup a taste and season with more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve hot with reserved white beans, croutons, fresh basil and more rosemary, if desired.
This soup recipe is vegan but for a non-vegan version feel free to use chicken broth instead of vegetable broth and add some freshly grated parmesan on top.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: soup, dinner, lunch
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: tomato bean soup, tomato soup, vegan creamy tomato soup, tomato white bean soup