Tofu Egg Roll in a Bowl is a vegan version of the popular egg roll in a bowl that’s typically made with ground meat. Seasoned browned tofu crumbles work very well in this quick and satisfying cabbage and veggie stir fry. Spicy peanut sauce brings this dish to a whole new level!
For Tofu Crumbles:
1 block extra firm tofu
2 tablespoons coconut aminos or low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon neutral tasting oil, such as avocado or sunflower seed
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Egg Roll in a Bowl Stir Fry
1 bag rainbow or regular coleslaw, or shredded cabbage
1 medium to large carrot, julienned, matchstick cut or shredded
1 red bell pepper, sliced into strips
1/2 large onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small (half a thumb) piece of ginger, grated or minced
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
1/4 cup coconut aminos or low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1/2 cup halved or crushed dry roasted peanuts
Salt and pepper, to taste
Chopped scallions and/or cilantro, for garnish
Spicy Peanut Sauce
1/4 cup creamy all-natural peanut butter
1 tablespoons Sriracha sauce, or more
Juice from 1 lime
1. Remove excessive moisture from the tofu by wrapping in in a couple of paper towels or a clean kitchen towel and placing something heavy on top, such as a cast iron skillet. If you have a tofu press, use that instead.
2. Crumble the pressed tofu into a bowl, add coconut aminos (or soy sauce), oil, garlic powder and salt. Mix with a spoon until combined.
3. Heat up a large skillet, pour in the tofu crumbles and press with a wooden spoon or spatula so it forms one layer. Cook on medium heat for 4 minutes, then give it a stir, press and cook 4 more minutes. Repeat until tofu is nicely browned on all sides. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
4. Make the sauce. In a small bowl whisk together peanut butter, sriracha sauce and lime juice until smooth. If it’s too thick, add a splash of cold water and keep mixing until you reach pourable consistency.
5. In the same skillet that you used for tofu crumbles heat sesame oil, add minced garlic and ginger and stir fry until fragrant, a minute or so. Then add coleslaw mix or cabbage, carrots, peppers and onions. Stir fry for a couple minutes on medium high heat until the veggies are softened. Add a splash of water if the veggies start browning too much.
6. Add coconut aminos and rice vinegar and cook a couple more minutes, stirring often.
7. Add cooked tofu crumbles and stir well. Season with salt and pepper and add crushed peanuts. Give it one last stir.
8. Serve drizzled with spicy peanut sauce and garnished with fresh chopped cilantro.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: lunch, dinner
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: tofu egg roll in a bowl, vegan egg roll in a bowl