Greek Chickpea Pasta Bake is a comforting and super healthy casserole that’s packed with veggies, gluten free and made with no milk or cream.
8 oz chickpea pasta shells
½ cup of roasted red pepper hummus
1 pint cherry tomatoes
1 yellow or orange bell pepper, sliced into strips
8 oz green asparagus, broken into bite sized pieces
2 large garlic cloves, roughly chopped or crushed
1/2-1/3 cup oz crumbled feta cheese
1 can diced tomatoes
½ cup coconut milk, full fat
½ tsp oregano
½ cup kalamata olives, pitted and halved
1 tbsp olive oil + more to drizzle
Black pepper to taste
- Heat the oven to 425 F.
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions until al dente in salted water. Drain and set aside.
- While the pasta is boiling, place the cherry tomatoes, peppers and asparagus in a casserole dish (9x13 or similar).
- Drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil and move the veggies around to coat.
- Place the casserole dish with vegetables in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. At around 10 minute mark, open the oven and shake the dish once.
- Meanwhile, prep the sauce: in a standup blender puree canned tomatoes, hummus, coconut milk and garlic until smooth.
- Pour the sauce into the cooked pasta. Stir to coat.
- Stir the baked veggies into the pasta and sauce together with half of the olives. Season with black pepper.
- Transfer the pasta mixture back into the casserole dish, top with crumbled feta cheese, the remaining olives and sprinkle with dried oregano. Drizzle some olive oil on top (around 1 tbsp or less).
- Put the casserole dish back in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes until slightly bubbly and feta cheese starts melting and browning a little.
- Take out of the oven, sprinkle with fresh basil leaves (optional) and serve immediately.
You can replace chickpea pasta with red lentil or whole wheat pasta.
If you don't have coconut milk, you can skip it and add 1/4 cup more hummus.
This dish is quite versatile. If you don't have asparagus, feel free to swap it for broccoli. Green beans or zucchini will also work well.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: dinner, vegetarian
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: healthy pasta, baked pasta, vegetarian pasta, healthy casserole, chickpea pasta