If you're a Caesar salad lover but not a fan of anchovies, this recipe is perfect for you. This creamy Caesar Salad Dressing Without Anchovies is delicious, easy to make and has the right balance of tangy and salty flavors. With just a few simple ingredients, you can whip it up in no time and add some zing to your salads.
Authentic Caesar dressing is a creamy and tangy sauce that originated in Mexico in the 1920s. It is a combination of fresh garlic, egg yolks, anchovies, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, olive oil, and Parmesan cheese. The ingredients are blended together until smooth and emulsified, creating a rich and flavorful dressing that is perfect for salads or as a dip.
The addition of anchovies provides a salty umami flavor that is essential to the classic Caesar dressing but I wanted to create an easier version without raw eggs or fish. I experimented with different ingredients and found that the best replacement for anchovies are capers in brine.
I also swapped egg yolks and olive oil for good quality mayo which makes this recipe super easy and quick to make.
Why you'll love this recipe
- This easy Caesar dressing has superior creamy texture and great flavor
- Great for vegetarians and people with fish allergies
- No raw eggs or egg yolks
- This recipe is gluten-free and dairy-free
- Better than any store-bought dressing
- Mayonnaise: I like avocado oil mayo by Sir Kensington but any good-quality mayonnaise will work
- Garlic: use fresh garlic for best results
- Dijon Mustard: creamy or coarse will both work
- Capers and Caper Brine: capers add a salty, briny flavor to the dressing, which makes it an excellent substitute for anchovies or anchovy paste
- Parmesan Cheese: freshly grated is best
- Black Pepper: freshly milled black pepper adds a bit of heat and complexity to the dressing
See recipe card for full information on ingredients and substitutions.
- If you're looking to make this recipe vegan, you can substitute the mayo with vegan mayonnaise, and the parmesan cheese with nutritional yeast
- If you don't want to use capers and/or caper brine, swap them for some Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce
- Use low-fat mayo if you want to cut down the calories
How to make Caesar salad dressing without anchovies
STEP 2: Blend the dressing until smooth and creamy.
STEP 3: Taste and adjust the seasoning, if needed.
STEP 4: Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes or serve at room temperature.
STEP 5: Drizzle the dressing over your favorite salad and enjoy!
How to serve it
- Tossed with greens: The most common way to serve Caesar salad dressing is by tossing it with crisp romaine lettuce, croutons, and Parmesan cheese. You can also add other ingredients like cherry tomatoes, avocado, or grilled chicken to create a heartier salad. Try it on this Tuna Caesar Salad.
- As a dip: It makes a great dip for veggies like carrot sticks, celery, and cucumber slices. You can also use it as a dip for crackers, pita chips, these Air Fryer Sliced Potatoes, regular French fries or Air Fryer Butternut Squash Fries.
- On sandwiches: Caesar salad dressing can be used as a spread on sandwiches in place of mayo or mustard. It pairs well with grilled chicken, turkey, or ham.
- As a marinade: You can use this dressing as a marinade for chicken or fish. Just coat the protein in the dressing and let it marinate in the fridge for a few hours before grilling or baking.
- As a pasta salad dressing: it also a delicious dressing for pasta salads. Toss cooked pasta with the dressing and add in veggies like cherry tomatoes, olives, and roasted red peppers. Try it with this Lentil Pasta Salad to make it creamy!
Store the dressing in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. Give the dressing a good stir before using it as the ingredients may separate over time.
Yes, you can make this dressing ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Yes, you can use bottled lemon juice, but fresh lemon juice will give you a brighter and zesty flavor.
Yes! If you don't want to use a food processor, mince the garlic and capers into a paste, then transfer to a bowl and whisk together with all remaining ingredients until smooth and creamy.
Bright and healthy salad recipes
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my site, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it turned out in the 📝 comments below. I love hearing from you! Follow me on Instagram and Pinterest to see more recipes.
Caesar Salad Dressing Without Anchovies
- Place all ingredients in a mini food processor (mini chopper).
- Process until mostly smooth.
- Taste and add a pinch of salt if the dressing is not salty enough.