Almond Butter Brown Rice Cups with Chocolate are super easy to make with only 4 ingredients. They are gluten free and use no dairy or refined sugar so they are a perfect bite size snacks that you and your little ones will love!
These almond chocolate cups were a happy culinary accident. I was experimenting with a healthy rice crispy treats’ makeover and after adding almond butter and melted chocolate on top, I decided they would do well as mini cups and the final effect is amazing! They are wonderfully sweet and chocolaty but also light and airy thanks to milled puffed rice as one of the main ingredients.
Almond butter packs in some great protein into these healthy treats and the brown rice cakes add a nice boost of fiber which makes them a total win in my book! They still act as a healthier version of Reese’s peanut butter cup but you can pop in a few and not feel guilty about it. They are also great for kids and toddlers (my 2,5-year-old daughter fully agrees!).
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
Rice cakes: use brown rice or multigrain rice cakes, whichever you prefer. If you are gluten free, check the labels.
Almond butter: I like the creamy kind but crunchy almond butter will also work.
Honey: you can adjust the amount of honey to your sweetness preferences. For me, ¼ cup is enough to make these cups sweet but you can add more or less, if you’d like.
Chocolate chips: dark, semi-sweet or milk are all great choices for this recipe.
HOW TO MAKE ALMOND BUTTER BROWN RICE CRISPY CUPS WITH CHOCOLATE
STEP 1: Place mini cupcake liners in a mini muffin pan. If you don’t have liners, you can also spray the pan with oil but personally, I like the pattern the liners leave on the chocolate, making them look like Reese’s.
STEP 2: Make the cups. Break the rice cakes into smaller pieces and pulse in a food processor until they resemble rice krispie cereal. Add almond butter and honey and pulse a couple more times until sticky and crumbly “dough” forms.
STEP 3: Press into the pan. Using a small spoon, place 12 rice-almond butter mixture into the lined mini muffin pan. Press lightly with your fingers to make sure the dough fills the bottom of the liners.
STEP 4: Melt the chocolate. The easiest way to melt chocolate chips is to do it in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring after in-between until smooth. You can also use a double boiler and melt the chocolate on the stove.
STEP 5: Pour chocolate & chill. Now it’s time to add melted chocolate on top of the almond cups. Divide it evenly between the 12 cups and smooth with a spoon, if needed. Place in the fridge to set, at least 1 hour.
SUBSTIUTIONS & VARIATIONS
- You can use any nut butter you like, if you don’t want to make these cups with almond butter. Peanut or cashew butter are great options, too! Peanut butter will make them taste closer to the traditional Reese’s cups but I like almond the best!
- If you don’t want to use honey, replace it with maple syrup.
- For a vegan version, swap honey for maple syrup and use vegan chocolate chips.
- These cups are naturally gluten free but just to be sure, check the labels, especially on the rice cakes.
For best results, store the cups in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to a week.
MORE HEALTHY TREATS
If you try these Almond Butter Brown Rice Crispy Cups recipe, be sure to leave me a comment and give this recipe a rating. I would love to hear from you and see how it turned out for you! You can also share and tag me on Instagram!
No time to make it now? Just pin it now and save the recipe for later!
Almond Butter Brown Rice Crispy Cups with Chocolate are super easy to make with only 4 ingredients. These cups are gluten free and use no dairy or refined sugar so they are a perfect bite size snacks that you and your little ones will love!
3 brown rice cakes
½ cup almond butter
¼ cup honey
2/3 cup chocolate chips
- Line a mini muffin pan with paper or silicone liners, or spray lightly with oil.
- Crumble the rice cakes into a food processor and pulse a couple times until the mixture resembles rice krispie cereal.
- Add almond butter and honey and process together until blended.
- Using a small spoon, form 12 balls and push them into the mini cupcake liners pressing with your fingers.
- Melt chocolate chips in the microwave in 30-second increments, stirring after each 30-second period until the chocolate is fully melted. You can also melt it on the stove using a small saucepan placed in a larger pot half-filled with gently boiling water.
- Pour melted chocolate over the rice-almond cups in the pan. Use a spoon to smooth out, if needed.
- Place in the fridge to set, for at least 1 hour. Pop out and enjoy!
This recipe makes 12 mini cups. If you’d like more, just double the recipe and use 2 mini muffin tins or make it in two batches. It doesn’t take long to set in the fridge.
- Category: desserts
Keywords: cocolate brown rice almond cups, rice cakes, brown rice cakes, rice cups, rice snacks, chocolate almond cups, copycat reese's cups