Keto Herbed Avocado Egg Salad is creamy, light and flavorful, thanks to the generous amount of fresh herbs. Try it as a healthy lunch or snack in a sandwich on wholegrain bread, on a bed of greens or in lettuce wraps.
If you love egg salad but want a healthier version, this Herbed Avocado Egg Salad in for you! The healthified version swaps the majority of mayo with diced avocado which is naturally creamy and adds an extra layer of flavor to this salad. The addition of parsley, dill and lemon juice makes this salad taste bright and fresh.
If you like or have other herbs on hand, feel free to swap parsley and dill with chopped chives, tarragon or cilantro. Mix and match however you like for a fun egg avocado salad that's incredibly versatile, low-carb, gluten free, keto, paleo and whole30 friendly. Did I mention it's also delicious?
- Hard Boiled Eggs: you can boil your eggs on the stovetop or make them in an Instant Pot or air fryer. See my note below.
- Avocado: pick an avocado that’s ripe and tender but not too soft. The avocado pieces should mostly hold their shape in this salad.
- Celery: adds some much needed crunch to the ultra creamy texture of eggs and avocado.
- Parsley & Dill: to add freshness and extra flavor to the salad.
- Mayo: use good quality store bought mayo (I like avocado mayo) or homemade.
- Lemon juice: to add tanginess and prevent the avocados from browning.
- Dijon Mustard: a must in any egg salad!
- Salt & Pepper: to balance out the flavors.
How to make perfect hard boiled eggs
There are a few ways to make perfect hard boiled eggs.
- Stove top method: Bring water to boil in a medium size pot, once it starts boiling, add the eggs and boil for 8 minutes. Immediately take the eggs out and place in a bowl with water and ice to stop them from cooking.
- Air fryer method: place the eggs in the air fryer, set the temperature to 250 degrees and air fry for 15 minutes.
- Instant Pot method: pour 1 cup of water into the Instant Pot, place the eggs on a trivet, close the lid and pressure cook for 5 minutes. Manually vent the Instant Pot immediately.
How to make herbed avocado egg salad
This healthy egg salad comes together in no time. Just chop the eggs and all the veggies and herbs and mix together with lemon juice, mayo and Dijon mustard. Season with salt and pepper and you are ready to go!
Prep tips and substitutions
- To prevent the salad from getting mushy, pick an avocado that’s tender and ripe but not overripe. The avocado pieces should mostly hold their shape.
- Parsley and dill are not the only herbs you can add. Chives and/or tarragon will also work well. If you like cilantro, you can use it too. Cilantro + avocado will give the salad a Mexican vibe.
- If you don’t want to use mayonnaise, you can swap it for an equal amount of Greek yogurt or skip it all together and mash some of the avocado for extra creaminess.
- Because this salad is made with avocado, it isn’t the best for meal prep and it’s best served right after preparing so the serving size is rather small (enough for 2-3 people). If you’re making it for a big family or a party, just double or triple the recipe (click on the x2 or x3 in the recipe carb below for easy conversion).
Storage and serving tips
There are so many ways you can serve this salad! Eat it on its own, in a sandwich on multigrain bread, on toast or crackers or in a wrap with some red peppers, lettuce and radishes. For a delicious low-carb lunch or snack, you can also serve it on a bed of lettuce or in lettuce cups or wraps with some extra veggies.
The herbed avocado egg salad tastes best when served freshly made because. However, it will keep in the fridge for about 24 hours. After a day in the fridge, the avocado will start browning.
If you try this Herbed Egg Avocado Salad, be sure to leave me a comment and give this recipe a rating. I would love to hear from you and see how it turned out for you! You can also share and tag me on Instagram!
No time to make it now? Just pin it now and save the recipe for later!
More low-carb lunch ideas
- Buffalo Tuna Salad
- Italian Stuffed Zucchini Boats with Ground Chicken
- Paleo Egg Roll in a Bowl
- Spaghetti Squash with Bacon, Goat Cheese and Spinach Skillet
- Chicken Caprese Sheet Pan
This post may contain affiliate links.
Herbed Egg Avocado Salad (keto, paleo, whole30)
- Boil the eggs. Bring water to boil in a medium size pot, once it starts boiling, add the eggs and boil for 8 minutes. Immediately take the eggs out and place in a bowl with water and ice to stop them from cooking. Once cooled, peel and chop the eggs.
- Peel the avocado, remove the pit and dice small. Chop the celery.
- Place the eggs, avocado, celery and chopped dill and parsley in a large bowl. Add mayo, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, sprinkle with salt and pepper and mix with a silicone spatula or a spoon until combined.