This paleo Egg Roll in a Bowl is a super quick and easy weeknight dinner that’s a true crowd pleaser. It is made with ground chicken or turkey, shredded vegetables and cauliflower rice, and topped with spicy and refreshing mayo-sriracha sauce. It is paleo, whole30 approved, gluten-free and fantastic for meal prep.
Egg Roll in a Bowl is one of those recipes that you will keep coming back to and making over and over again because it is amazingly easy, healthy, insanely flavorful and comes together in no time (less than 30 minutes if you have your cabbage and carrots shredded).
Another great thing about this Asian inspired dish is that it is made in one skillet which means less time spent on washing dishes = more time for things you actually like doing (Netflix or a bubble bath for the win!). With a little bit of forethought, egg roll in a bowl can be thrown together when you’re short on time but still crave a wholesome homemade dinner after a long day at work or your kids’ sports practice.
Looking for more easy Asian-inspired dinners? Try this amazingly delicious Shrimp Yaki Udon recipe!
WHAT IS EGG ROLL IN A BOWL?
Essentially, egg roll in a bowl is all the wonderful flavors you would find inside an egg roll, minus the wrapper. In Asian cuisines, egg rolls are usually made with ground pork and cabbage, wrapped in dough and deep fried.
For this deconstructed version, we lose the fried dough all together and focus on the delicious filling to create an easy and complete one-skillet meal drizzled with wonderfully creamy, tangy and spicy sauce.
Most egg roll in a bowl recipes I’ve seen use bagged coleslaw which is definitely the fastest option. Since I had 2 cabbages and a bag of shredded carrots in my fridge waiting to be used up, I chopped the vegetables myself. It’s totally up to you though.
To bulk the meal up a bit, I also used riced cauliflower, which goes really well with the rest of the flavors. If you have picky eaters who swear by NOT liking cauliflower, this egg roll in a bowl is a fabulous way to add it without nobody noticing. Seriously, the cauliflower taste completely disappears in the sea of aromatics, such as coconut aminos, garlic, ginger and lime.
Make sure to also try my Vegan Egg Roll in a Bowl with Tofu for another version of this easy one-pan meal.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
- Ground meat: you can use ground chicken, turkey or pork for this recipe. Beef is also ok, though it’s less traditional.
- White and red cabbage: shred your own fresh cabbage by hand or pulse it in the food processor (you will need to cut it into pieces first). If you prefer, use bagged coleslaw mix.
- Shredded carrots: bagged shredded carrots are the fastest and easiest option. If you shred it yourself, grate the carrot using a box grater.
- Cauliflower rice: use fresh or frozen cauliflower rice or make your own by ricing fresh cauliflower florets in the food processor. If using frozen cauliflower rice, add it to the skillet before the rest of the veggies and cook until mostly thawed.
- Onion: both white or yellow onion will work.
- Garlic & ginger: use fresh garlic and ginger for the best results.
- Coconut aminos: to add Asian flavor to the dish. You can swap it for low-sodium soy sauce or tamari.
- Toasted sesame oil: it adds a wonderful warm and nutty flavor to the dish. You can usually buy it at Asian markets or the Asian section of your grocery store.
- Mayo: avocado oil mayo with clean ingredients or homemade mayo are your best choices.
- Sriracha sauce: my favorite brand is Huy Fong but use whatever Sriracha you have on hand. See my note below for a paleo/whole30 version.
- Lime: to add acidity to the dish and the sauce.
HOW TO MAKE PALEO EGG ROLL IN A BOWL
Step 1: Make the sauce. Just add all sauce ingredients in a medium bowl and stir together until combined. A small whisk works best.
Step 2: Chop and shred the veggies. Because this dish comes together in no time, it’s good to have all the vegetables prepared ahead of time. Shred the cabbage using a knife or a food processor. Chop the onion, mince or grate garlic and ginger and shred the carrot.
Step 3: Cook the meat. Heat up some sesame oil in a large skillet, add the onion, cook for about 2 minutes stirring until softened. Then, add the meat and cook it until lightly browned, stirring often and breaking the meat into small pieces. I find that a potato masher does a decent job for this task! Add ginger and garlic, cook together until fragrant, remove from the skillet and set aside.
Step 4: Stir fry the vegetables. Add the remaining oil to the now empty skillet and dump the cabbages, carrots and cauliflower rice into the skillet. Cook together, stirring until softened.
Step 5: Combine all the flavors. Add coconut aminos (or soy sauce or tamari), the cooked meat and rice vinegar (if using). Stir fry a little longer until all the flavors are combined.
Step 6: Finishing touches. I like to squeeze half a lime into the mixture at the end, sprinkle some fresh herbs (scallions and cilantro) and season with salt and pepper. If it tastes like it still needs a little something, add a bit more coconut aminos and/or sesame oil.
Step 7: Serve in bowls with a drizzle of sriracha-mayo sauce.
STORAGE, FREEZING & MEAL PREP TIPS
Paleo Egg Roll in a Bowl is perfect for meal prep. Just stir fry the meat and vegetables according to the recipe and divide between airtight containers. Prepare the sauce and transfer to a separate container (or mini dressing containers if you’ll be packing your lunches). Store in the fridge for up to 5 days. To serve, reheat in the microwave for about 2 minutes or on the stove in a skillet until warmed through.
To freeze, divide between airtight container(s) and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat in a skillet with a little oil or in the microwave. I don’t recommend freezing the sauce but you can make it fresh and serve with the reheated stir-fry.
SUBSTITUTIONS & SPECIAL DIETS
This dish is suitable for many diets because it is naturally gluten and dairy free.
For paleo and whole30, use coconut aminos (naturally soy-free) and check your labels, especially on the mayo and Sriracha. Homemade mayonnaise or good quality store bought avocado oil mayo is best. Sriracha sauce usually has sugar in the ingredients but there are some sugar-free versions available.
If you don’t feel like shredding cabbage, use store bought coleslaw mix. Cauliflower rice can be fresh or frozen. If you want, you can also add other vegetables to the dish, such as sliced bell peppers, chopped broccoli or mushrooms.
IS THIS RECIPE KETO?
Not in its original form. Because this recipe uses a ton of veggies, this Egg Roll in a Bowl is very low in sugar and high in fiber. However, some of the veggies, such as carrots and onions are high in carbs and not keto friendly. To make this dish keto, stick to cabbage only. It will still be delicious!
CAN I MAKE THIS DISH VEGETARIAN OR VEGAN?
Yes! For a vegetarian/vegan version use impossible meat or crumbled tempeh instead of meat. You can also use crispy tofu marinaded in coconut aminos or soy sauce but cook it separately from the veggies and add at the very end.
If you try this paleo Egg Roll in a Bowl, be sure to leave me a comment and give this recipe a rating. I would love to hear from you and see how it turned out for you! You can also share and tag me on Instagram!
No time to make it now? Just pin it now and save the recipe for later!
MORE LOW-CARB DINNER IDEAS
- Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Cauliflower Rice Casserole
- Italian Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- Spaghetti Squash with Bacon, Goat Cheese and Spinach Skillet
- Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus Stuffed Chicken
- Brined Chicken Wings
This post contains affiliate links.
Egg Roll in a Bowl is a super quick and easy weeknight dinner that’s a true crowd pleaser. It is made with ground meat of your choice, shredded vegetables and cauliflower rice, and topped with spicy and refreshing mayo-sriracha sauce.
1.5 lb ground chicken (turkey or pork)
12 oz cauliflower rice
12 oz shredded white cabbage
5 oz shredded red cabbage
5 oz shredded carrot
½ large onion, chopped
2 large garlic cloves, crushed or minced
½ cup coconut aminos (or low-sodium soy sauce or tamari)
1 tablespoon rice vinegar (optional)
2 scallions, sliced
4 tsp toasted sesame oil
1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
Salt and pepper to taste
Fresh chopped cilantro for garnish (optional)
For the sauce:
½ cup mayo
2 tbsp Sriracha sauce
- Prepare the sauce. Place the mayo, Sriracha and juice from ½ lime in a medium bowl and stir with a small whisk until fully combined and creamy. Set aside.
- In a large skillet heat 2 teaspoons of sesame oil and cook onion until softened. Add the ground meat and cook until no longer pink and slightly browned. If you’re using pork, drain the fat. Add minced garlic and ginger and stir together for another minute or 2. Remove the meat from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the remaining sesame oil to the now empty skillet and add both cabbages, carrots and cauliflower rice and cook stirring on medium high heat until softened, about 5-7 minutes. You may need to add a splash of water if it starts browning.
- Add coconut aminos or soy sauce and rice vinegar (if using). Give everything a stir, add the cooked meat and cook together stirring for about 3-5 minutes. Add juice squeezed from ½ lime and sliced scallions. Stir together, try it and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- You can also add a little more coconut aminos and sesame oil at this stage if you want more flavor. Garnish with more scallions and/or chopped fresh cilantro.
- Serve hot with a drizzle of mayo-Sriracha sauce.
For paleo and Whole30, make sure your mayo, Sriracha and coconut aminos are paleo compliant.
If you follow a keto diet, you can still make Egg Roll in a Bowl but you will need to cut out some of the veggies to reduce the number of carbs, especially onions and carrots.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: dinner
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: paleo egg roll in a bowl, whole30 egg roll in a bowl