Deliciously crispy Air Fryer Red Potatoes that are perfectly seasoned and ready to serve in under 30 minutes. Similar to these Air Fryer Sliced Potatoes, these red skin beauties are crispy on the outside and tender and fluffy inside.
Why air fry potatoes
Air frying potatoes (any kind, not just red skin potatoes like in this recipe) is a game-changer for those seeking a healthier and hassle-free cooking experience. Air fryer creates a crispy exterior while maintaining the fluffy goodness inside, all with significantly less oil than traditional frying.
Moreover, air fryers require minimal preheating time, making it a quicker alternative to conventional oven baking. You'll love this method for creating an easy and delicious side dish for a busy weeknight dinner. It doesn't get any faster and easier as this!
I tend to use my air fryer not only for quick roasting potatoes but also other veggies such as air fried eggplant or these low-carb butternut squash fries. I also love it for recipes that are normally fried, such as this easy air fryer falafel or Buffalo chicken tenders.
Why you'll love this recipe
- Super easy air fryer potato recipe made with just a handful of ingredients
- Air fried red potatoes are light and fluffy inside with supremely crispy edges
- Perfect weeknight side dish that gies well with pretty much everythinng
- Also great on their own as an appetizer with a side of dipping sauce, such as my Dill Aioli
- Red Potatoes: I like to use small potatoes, also called red baby potatoes but if you prefer, go with larger potatoes, as long as you cut them into bite-sized pieces.
- Oil: I used extra virgin olive oil but avocado oil and canola oil will also work well
- Spices: my suggestion is to mix kosher salt (or sea salt), paprika, onion powder and garlic powder but you can use whatever spices you like. Cumin, smoked paprika, dried herbs (thyme, oregano, rosemary), Italian seasoning or your favorite seasoning mix will all be great. Or, go with the basic combo of olive oil, salt and black pepper.
How to make Air Fryer Red Potatoes
Step 1: Clean the red potatoes under cold water, ensuring all dirt is removed. Dry the potatoes with paper towels thoroughly.
Step 2: If using small potatoes, cut them in half; for medium or large potatoes, quarter them or dice into large pieces (Image 1).
Step 3: In a large bowl, combine the potatoes with olive oil, kosher salt, paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder (Image 2). Make sure each potato piece is coated evenly (Image 3).
Step 4: Place the seasoned potatoes in the air fryer basket in a single layer (Image 4).
Step 5: Air fry at 370 degrees Fahrenheit for 20-25 minutes, shaking the basket after 10 minutes. Check for doneness after 20 minutes (they should be crispy on the outside and fork tender inside). If you prefer extra crispiness, air fry an additional 5 minutes or longer.
Step 6: Garnish with fresh chives or scallions if desired, and serve immediately.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. For longer storage, freeze the air-fried red potatoes for up to 3 months. Simply thaw and reheat in the air fryer for a quick and satisfying simple side dish.
What to serve air-fried red potatoes with
I would be perfectly happy serving these cute crispy potatoes on their own, maybe with a side of Sriracha Mayo, sour cream or plain Greek yogurt mixed with salt and minced fresh garlic.
But I typically serve these on the side of mains. It will go with pretty much any main dish, from pork chops to fish, chicken to steak. Try it on the side of this Chicken Breast Stuffed with Feta and Spinach, these Buffalo Chicken Tenders (No Breading) or these delicious Pork Kebabs.
More cooking tips
- Don't peel the potatoes. Red skin not only looks pretty but it's also rich in fiber and nutrients.
- Small red potatoes work well and look really pretty on the plate but you can use larger potatoes, too. Just cut them into wedges or a large dice.
- For spicier potatoes, add some cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes to the spice mix.
- Use whatever spice mix you like to flavor the potatoes. Cajun seasoning, such as Slap Ya Mama or a homemade mix I use in this Salmon Cajun Pasta recipe will work really well. Ranch seasoning or curry powder are also good choices.
What's the best air afryer for roasting potatoes?
A large air fryer with a basket is best because it will allow you to roast the red potatoes in one layer, which results in evently csrispy edges. I personally use my trusty 7-qt Go Wise Air Fryer. You can also use a smaller air fryer, but then cosider air frying the potatoes in two batches.
More great large air fryers:
Phillips XXL Air Fryer
Ninja Foodi Air Fryer
COSORI Air Fryer
Can I use other kinds of potatoes?
Of course! I like red skin potatoes because they are lower in carbs and higher in fiber than other potatoes but ANY potato will work in this recipe: yellow potatoes (yukon gold), russets, white potatoes or even sweet potatoes.
Nope. I like the pre-boiling method for oven roasting but air frying is a much faster cooking method so you can skip boiling all together.
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my site, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it turned out in the 📝 comments below. I love hearing from you! Follow me on Instagram and Pinterest to see more recipes.
- 1 Air Fryer 7 quart or larger
- 1 ½ lb red potatoes small, halved or medium to large quartered
- 1 ½ tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- Clean the potatoes thoroughly, if needed.
- If using small potatoes, cut them in half. For medium or large potatoes, cut them into quarters or a large dice.
- Place cut potatoes in a medium or large mixing bow, add olive oil, salt, paprika, garlic powder and onion powder.
- Mix thoroughly to coat each potato piece in oil and spices.
- Place the potatoes in the basket of an air fryer in one single layer.
- Air fry at 370 degrees Fahrenheit for 20-25 minutes, shaking the basket after 10 minutes. Check for doneness with a fork after 20 minutes. If you prefer crispier potatoes, air fry fo additional 5 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh chives or scallions, if desired, and serve immediately.