Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus Stuffed Chicken is made with only a few ingredients, it can be made in the oven or an air fryer. It is a perfect appetizer or main dish that looks and tastes spectacular but it’s also healthy and low-carb.
I hold a strong belief that chicken breasts are made to be stuffed with something. I often make chicken breasts stuffed with prunes or dried apricots and wrapped in bacon. Yum! For a spring version of a chicken roll up, try stuffing it with asparagus and wrap it in prosciutto.
The final product is elegant, light and it’s just one of those dishes that makes everyone think that it was complicated to make, while in fact, it is super easy. Trust me on that. All you need to do is to wrap the asparagus in thin sliced chicken and prosciutto and bake or air fry it. Ready in under 30 minutes but looks and tastes impressive!
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
- Thin Sliced Chicken Breasts: purchase thin sliced chicken breasts or slice whole breasts into thin fillets horizontally. For best results use organic chicken.
- Prosciutto: to add a wonderfully salty flavor to the chicken and keep the meat moist.
- Asparagus: if your asparagus stalks are thin, use 4 per chicken roll up. If they’re thicker, use 2-3. Make sure to snap or cut off the woody ends.
- Butter or ghee: melted butter or ghee will prevent the chicken from drying out.
- Garlic: fresh crushed or minced garlic will work best but you can also use garlic powder instead.
HOW TO MAKE ASPARAGUS STUFFED CHICKEN
Step 1: Lay the chicken flat and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Since prosciutto is fairly salty, go easy on salt or skip it all together.
Step 2: Melt the butter, add crushed garlic and brush it on the chicken breasts (only on the side that will be rolled up).
Step 3: Snip off the woody ends of the asparagus and place 4 asparagus stalks on each thin sliced chicken breast (2-3 stalks if the asparagus is thicker). Wrap the chicken tightly around asparagus. Sprinkle with a little more black pepper.
Step 4: Separate prosciutto into individual slices and lay them out flat. Wrap each chicken roll up tightly with prosciutto.
Step 5: Brush the uncooked chicken wrapped in prosciutto with leftover garlic butter.
Step 6: For the oven method, spray a baking sheet lightly with oil, place the chicken on the pan and bake for about 25 minutes in the oven preheated to 410 degrees Fahrenheit.
Step 7: For the air fryer method, preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees for about 5 minutes and spray the basket with oil. Place the chicken in the basket and set timer for 5 minutes. Open the air fryer at the 5-minute mark, check for “doneness” and give the chicken a light shake. Cook 2-3 minutes more or longer until it looks roasted.
SUBSTITUTIONS, SPECIAL DIETS
For a paleo/whole30 version, use ghee instead of butter.
If you don’t have or like prosciutto, you can also use thin sliced bacon. Use half a slice per chicken roll. You can also use a whole slice but it won’t crisp up quite as much.
HOW TO SERVE IT
If you are serving asparagus stuffed chicken as an appetizer, it doesn’t need any sides. Just display it on a platter and enjoy as finger food.
For an entrée, pair the chicken with roasted potatoes and/or your favorite roasted veggies and a simple green salad. I served mine with dressed arugula for a light, delicious meal.
MORE COOKING & STORAGE TIPS
Prosciutto slices can be tricky to separate. I recommend separating them and laying the slices flat before you start wrapping. Take your time to make sure they don’t rip.
If your chicken breasts are not thin sliced, you can go ahead and slice them yourself. Just place the breast on a cutting board and using a sharp long knife cut lengthwise to produce 2-3 thinner slices.
To make ahead, place uncooked on a baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap and store in the fridge for up to 24 hours before baking or air frying.
If you have an air fryer, I highly recommend using it for this recipe as it cuts the roasting time considerably and the chicken comes out wonderfully juicy. The air fryer I'm using is this one.
If you have leftovers, store in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the fridge. To reheat, place in the microwave for a minute. They are also excellent cold.
MORE AIR FRYER RECIPES
- Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Tenders (No Breading)
- Brined Chicken Wings
- Pork Kebabs (Air Fryer or Oven)
- Air Fryer Butternut Squash Fries
- Air Fryer Eggplant Parm
If you try this air fryer Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus Stuffed Chicken, be sure to leave me a comment and give this recipe a rating. I would love to hear from you and see how it turned out for you! You can also share and tag me on Instagram!
This post contains affiliate links.Print
Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus Stuffed Chicken is a perfect appetizer or main dish that looks and tastes spectacular but it’s also healthy and low-carb. Made with only a few ingredients, it can be made in the oven or an air fryer.
6 thin sliced chicken breast fillets
6 slices of prosciutto
24 asparagus stalks, woody ends snipped
1 clove garlic, minced or crushed
2 tbsp butter or ghee
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 410 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan, add minced garlic and cook for a minute until fragrant.
- Lay the thin sliced chicken breasts flat, sprinkle with salt and pepper and brush with melted butter with garlic using a pastry brush (on one side only). Don’t use up all the butter.
- Place 4 asparagus stalks on each chicken breast and roll the chicken around asparagus tightly. Asparagus ends should be sticking out on both sides.
- Season the rolled up chicken with a little more black pepper.
- Lay a prosciutto slice flat on a plate or cutting board, place the rolled up chicken with asparagus on one end and wrap in prosciutto. Proceed with the remaining chicken, one at a time.
- Spray a baking pan with oil lightly and place all 6 chicken “rolls” on the pan. Brush the wrapped chicken and asparagus with remaining garlic butter.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes until asparagus looks slightly roasted and prosciutto is browned slightly.
Air Fryer method
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (3-5 minutes)
- Follow steps 2-6 in the oven method above.
- Brush the wrapped chicken with remaining garlic butter.
- Open the air fryer and spray the basket with a little oil.
- Place the chicken in the basket and set for 5 minutes. Open the air fryer at the 5-minute mark, check for “doneness” and give the chicken a shake. Cook 2-3 minutes more or longer until it looks roasted.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
Keywords: asparagus stuffed chicken breasts, boneless chicken breasts, prosciutto, asparagus