Blackened Shrimp Tacos with Mango Salsa are a super flavorful and satisfying dish that is perfect for spring and summer months. The seasoned shrimp is topped with refreshing mango salsa and drizzled with THE BEST creamy and spicy sauce for a perfectly balanced meal that will surely become a family favorite!
I love everything about these shrimp tacos with mango salsa! They are light but satisfying, sweet and spicy, crunchy and creamy, in other words: a perfect balance of flavor and textures.
If you are looking for a new favorite for Taco Tuesday (or any day of the week) that packs in wonderful and fresh Mexican flavors without the heaviness and greasiness, you should seriously try making these tacos. They are healthy, gluten-free, nutritious and amazingly tasty. You’ll be in love after the first bite!
SHRIMP TACOS INGREDIENTS
To make Shrimp Tacos with Mango Salsa you will need:
Shrimp: fresh or frozen large or jumbo shrimp is best for this recipe. Make sure that the shrimp is peeled and deveined. Tails can be left on or removed, depending on your preferences.
Tortillas: I am using white corn tortillas but yellow corn, wheat or grain-free tortillas will also work great.
Red cabbage: to add a crunchy and colorful element to the dish.
Taco Seasoning: I have a great recipe for homemade taco seasoning that I use in all of my taco and fajita meat and seafood. Give it a try or use good quality store bought seasoning that doesn’t include any starch.
Avocado: sliced avocado is my absolute favorite taco topping
Cotija (or Queso Fresco) Cheese: this white crumbly cheese adds wonderful salty flavor to the tacos. Depending on where you live, your local grocery store may carry Cotija or Queso Fresco. Sam’s Club and Walmart usually have it, too. Grate the cheese or crumble it using your fingers.
For the Mango Salsa : fresh mangos, red pepper, jalapeno pepper, fresh cilantro, red onion and lime juice. Full recipe and tips for making the salsa can be found here.
FOR THE BEST CREAMY TACO SAUCE YOU WILL NEED
Mayo: homemade mayo or store bought avocado oil mayo are best.
Greek Yogurt: a healthier alternative of traditional crema or sour cream
Hot Sauce: any Mexican style hot sauce will work. My favorite is Cholula.
Lime: too add tanginess to the sauce.
HOW TO MAKE BLACKENED SHRIMP TACOS WITH MANGO SALSA
STEP 1: Make the salsa. Toss together chopped up mango, red and jalapeno peppers, red onion, cilantro and lime juice. Full recipe and instructions can be found here. Store in the fridge until ready to serve.
STEP 2: Make the creamy sauce. In a small bowl whisk together mayo, Greek yogurt, hot sauce and lime juice. Set aside until ready to serve. If making ahead, store in the fridge.
STEP 3: Cook the shrimp. Coat the shrimp with taco seasoning and sauté it in oil until seared, about 2 minutes per side.
STEP 4: Toast the tortillas. Use an open flame if you have a gas stove or a very hot dry skillet, or griddle.
STEP 5: Assemble the tacos. Start with a toasted tortilla, add some shredded red cabbage, mango salsa and sautéd shrimp. Top with crumbled Cotija cheese, avocado chunks and a drizzle of sauce.
ADDITIONAL PREP & COOKING TIPS
- We like large shrimp so for this recipe I used jumbo shrimp (21-25 count), but feel free to use the large or medium sized shrimp.
- If you use frozen shrimp, make sure it’s raw rather than already cooked. Raw shrimp has a grey color, as opposed to cooked shrimp that’s usually pink.
- If you want, you can leave the tails on for a nice presentation, but personally, I take them off before cooking.
- Mango salsa and creamy sauce can be made up to 12 hours before serving and stored covered in the fridge until ready to serve
VARIATIONS & SUBSTITUTIONS
There are many ways in which you can make these tacos. Use whatever toppings and condiments you like!
- If you’re not a fan of corn tortillas, feel free to swap them for flour tortillas.
- For grain-free tacos, use cassava or almond flour tortillas. My favorite brand is Siete and you can buy these tortillas in most large grocery stores, including Whole Foods, or on Amazon.
- If someone in your household is not a fan of shrimp, you can use the same seasoning and cooking method with white flaky fish (tilapia, cod, haddock), scallops or thin chicken strips.
- If you don’t have red cabbage, you can also use green cabbage, coleslaw mix or thinly sliced iceberg or Romaine lettuce. Red cabbage has the nicest color and best crunch though!
- For a mild version of the creamy sauce, use less hot sauce (1/2 tsp instead of the full teaspoon) or skip it all together. You can also use plain crema or sour cream.
- If you can’t find Cotija or Queso Fresco, just skip the cheese.
- Instead of mango, you can use fresh peach in the salsa recipe.
- Other taco toppings that go well with shrimp tacos include pico de gallo, guacamole, chopped cilantro and fresh lime juice.
OTHER QUICK AND EASY DINNERS
If you try these Shrimp Tacos with Mango Salsa, be sure to leave me a comment and give this recipe a rating. I would love to hear from you and see how it turned out for you! You can also share and tag me on Instagram!
No time to make it now? Just pin it now and save the recipe for later!
This post contains affiliate links.Print
Shrimp Tacos with Mango Salsa are a super flavorful and satisfying meal that is perfect for spring and summer months.
1 lb large or jumbo shrimp, fresh or frozen, peeled and deveined
1 tbsp homemade taco seasoning
¼ red cabbage, sliced thin
1 tbsp avocado or olive oil
2 oz Queso cheese, crumbled
1 avocado, diced
8 6-inch white or yellow corn tortillas
1 cup Fresh Mango Salsa
For the sauce:
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup Greek yogurt
1 tsp hot sauce
Juice from 1 lime (about 1.5 tbsp)
- Make the mango salsa. Full recipe can be found here.
- Make the sauce. In a small bowl combine mayo, yogurt, hot sauce and lime juice and whisk until smooth. If it’s very thick, add some cold water, 1 tsp at a time and mix until you reach the desired consistency.
- Sprinkle taco seasoning on raw shrimp and mix well to coat.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and add the shrimp. Cook on medium high heat for about 2 minutes per side until the shrimp is pink and lightly browned. Set aside.
- Toast corn tortillas on an open flame of a gas stove on medium high heat until lightly charred on the edges, 10-20 seconds per side. You can also toast them on a very hot griddle or skillet.
- Assemble the tacos. Place some shredded red cabbage on each taco, add some mango salsa, top with shrimp (3-4 pieces per taco), avocado chunks, crumbled Queso cheese and a drizzle of the sauce.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Category: dinner
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: how to make shrimp tacos, shrimp tacos with mango salsa, healthy dinner